Beef Bourguignon, an authentic recipe with Burgundy red wine
Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic French dish that is savory and rich in flavor.
It is made with braised pieces of beef and vegetables cooked in a mixture of red wine and beef broth.
This delicious and easy-to-prepare recipe is perfect for a family meal or for guests.
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 2h45 mins
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 1.5 kg braising beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 carrots cut into pieces
- 2 stalks of celery cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 500 ml of Burgundy red wine
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the meat and cook until nicely browned.
- Add carrots, celery and flour and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the red wine and the tomato purée and mix.
- Add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours.
- Remove the bouquet garni and serve hot with potatoes, tagliatelle or rice.
- Sauté the onions and garlic medium heat.
- Cook the meat until it is golden brown.
- Simmer everything low heat for 2h30.
Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic French dish that is rich and flavorful. This easy to prepare and delicious recipe is perfect for a family meal or for guests. With its braised pieces of beef and vegetables cooked in a mixture of Burgundy red wine and beef broth, Boeuf Bourguignon is an authentic and refined recipe.
A bit of history on the beef bourguignon recipe
Boeuf bourguignon is a French dish made with beef braised with vegetables and aromatic herbs, cooked with red Burgundy wine and fresh cream or milk. It is a dish originating in Burgundy and which has spread all over the world.
The history of beef bourguignon dates back to the end of the 19th century, when Burgundy was still an agricultural region. The region’s farmers were at the origin of recipes that used their products: Burgundy red wine, beef, vegetables and aromatic herbs.
The original beef bourguignon recipe has remained unchanged over the centuries. The only notable differences are the addition of other types of meat, such as pork or chicken, as well as the use of different herbs and vegetables to add more flavor to the dish.
Over the years, beef bourguignon has become an iconic dish of French gastronomy and is served in restaurants and homes around the world. Nowadays, it is considered a traditional French dish and is often prepared at parties and gatherings.