Enjoy this tasty recipe for veal stew with mushrooms, Zurich style
Did you know that Veal from Quebec is not only a high quality meat, but that it is also easy to cook?
Nutritious, healthy and tasty, this meat is recognized for the finesse of its taste, in addition to being low in fat. A healthy and refined option that easily replaces beef, chicken or pork in many dishes, in addition to being affordable. What make you want to vary your plate, right?
In a stew, stir-fry or shepherd’s pie, veal is an excellent source of protein. And then, since this meat is available in different cuts in local grocery stores and butchers, it lends itself easily to many everyday recipes.
When you buy Quebec Veal, you encourage 100% Quebec farming, in addition to diversifying your diet by cooking a healthy option that is perfectly suited to a healthy and balanced diet.
Quebec veal producers give the best of themselves to offer you a quality product that meets some of the highest standards in the world. Whether you opt for grain-fed veal or milk-fed veal, you are getting your hands on a product that is hard to resist.
Find out how to prepare this succulent meat by cooking chef Jean-François Plante’s recipe!
Veal stew with mushrooms, Zurich style
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 C. mustard powder
- 1 C. fine salt
- 1 C. dried oregano
- 4 tbsp. oil soup
- 1 kg of veal cubes
- 2 punnets of button mushrooms, brushed and quartered
- 4 French shallots, peeled and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- The juice of a lemon
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 C. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a bowl, mix the flour, powdered mustard, fine salt and oregano. Sprinkle the veal cubes with this mixture, taking care to cover all the surfaces of the meat well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Heat half the oil in a casserole over medium heat. Incorporate half of the mushrooms, salt and ground pepper and sear for 3 to 5 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the shallots and garlic and sweat for 3 minutes. Remove and reserve this mixture. Add the rest of the oil to the pan.
- Lightly cook the veal cubes on all surfaces over medium heat, avoiding caramelization. Remove and set aside with the sautéed mushrooms.
- Deglaze with the lemon juice, reduce almost dry, add the broth and incorporate the meat and mushrooms. Cover and bake for 4 hours.
- Whisk the Dijon mustard into the cream.
- Remove the veal stew from the oven, cream and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered.
- Meanwhile, sauté the rest of the mushrooms over high heat in a little extra oil, 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized. Add the parsley and the knob of butter. Saute 1 more minute.
- Serve the veal stew on a nest of noodles or rice to taste, topped with sauce and garnished with sautéed mushrooms.
Meeting on veauduquebec.com to discover a variety of tasty and easy to cook recipes!